By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
President Duterte reiterated that there was no problem when he threatened to kill those involved in the illegal drug trade as part of his job as Chief Executive was to scare, intimidate and kill people.
Duterte made the statement after it was reported that at least P7 million worth of illegal drugs were seized in separate buy-bust operations in Cebu City last week.
In a speech Tuesday evening, Duterte fumed at how local chief executives involved in illegal drugs tend to show off their properties.
“It transcends vanity. It is really greed in the lowest form. ‘Yan ang problema. Maski mga mayor pumasok (That’s the problem. Even mayors are getting involved) because of access of money,” he said.
The President likewise renewed his tirades against human rights groups that criticized his drug war, saying he was not afraid to face them in court.
“I’d be happy to place you in the cross — in the witness stand, cross-examine you. Sabihin nyo the (You’re saying) 70,000 [were] killed? Who was the 69th…? Can you name him?” Duterte said.
“Lahat na lang ng patay ng Pilipinas (For all the killings in this country), if you cannot blame anybody, you blame government. Because you threaten, of course. A mayor can always threaten a criminal without incurring criminal liability. It is my job to scare people, to intimidate people, and to kill people,” he added.
President Duterte said he had to do everything he can to save the country from illegal drugs.
“What am I really trying to say? That if nothing is done, this country will go to the dogs,” he said.
During his campaign for the presidency in 2016, President Duterte promised to end the illegal drug trade, along with criminality and corruption, within three to six months. He, however, admitted that he underestimated the situation and said that the bloody campaign will last until the end of his term.