By Jeffrey Damicog
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) autopsy findings on slain overseas Filipino worker (OFW) Jeanelyn Villavende will be sent to Kuwait to help prosecute her employers, said Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra.
However, the Secretary admitted that it will still be up to Kuwaiti prosecutors whether or not to use the NBI findings, considering that a Kuwaiti hospital has already conducted an autopsy on the Filipina.
“Call yan ng Kuwait prosecutors (It’s the call of Kuwait prosecutors),” Guevarra said.
“But we’ll offer all evidence available here in the Philippines,” the Secretary added.
Meanwhile, Guevarra disclosed he already received on Friday, January 17, the official autopsy report from the NBI.
Guevarra had earlier ordered the NBI to conduct the autopsy so that the Philippines have its own independent findings.
The autopsy was carried out by NBI medico-legal division chief Dr. Ricardo Rodaje last January 10 in Cotabato.
Villavende’s body arrived on January 8 and was brought to Cotabato the following day.
The Secretary had earlier learned from the NBI that the autopsy showed that Villavende was sexually abused before she died.
“There were also old healed wounds indicating that Villavende had been battered weeks prior to the fateful incident,” Guevarra previously said.
A preliminary report submitted by Labor Attache Nasser Mustafa stated that Villavende was beaten to death and was already dead when she was brought to a hospital in Kuwait.
Meanwhile, Guevarra had also directed the NBI to conduct a probe on Villavende’s recruiter to determine if they should also be held liable for her death.