DepEd moves early registration to Feb. 1 » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper


Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

DepEd moves early registration to Feb. 1


By Merlina Hernando-Malipot

The Department of Education (DepEd) on Friday announced that the early registration for school year (SY) 2020-2021 has been moved to Feb. 1 (Saturday), and runs up to March 6 (Friday) because the Lunar New Year, a public holiday, falls on Jan. 25.



DepEd said in a statement that the early registration aims to ensure that all new entrants for kindergarten and Grades 1, 7, and 11 students are accommodated in public elementary and secondary schools nationwide.

The department had earlier announced that early registration would start next week, Jan. 25 and run up to Feb. 28.

Through DepEd Order (DO) No. 3, s. 2018 or the Basic Education Enrolment Policy, Education Secretary Leonor Briones stated that early registration also aims to locate, identify, and register out-of-school children and youth in the community who for various reasons are no longer in school.

The early registration policy prescribes that registrants must satisfy the eligibility rules. For kindergarten, those who are five years old on or before Aug. 31, 2020 are eligible; for Grade 1, participants should have completed kinder or the Philippine Education Placement Test (PEPT) for kindergarten level. Those six years old or older by Aug. 31, 2020 but not kinder completers who are assessed to be Grade 1-ready per the Early Childhood Development checklist may also pre-register (DO 47, s. 2016).

For Grade 7, they must be Grade 6 completers or PEPT Passers for Grade 6 or Alternative Learning System Accreditation and Equivalency (ALS-A&E) elementary passers; and for Grade 11, those who will pre-register must be Grade 10 completers or PEPT Passers for Grade 10 or ALS A&E secondary passers.

DepEd said that for kindergarten and Grade 1, a Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) or National Statistics Authority (NSO) birth certificate must be submitted. In case of its absence, a Local Civil Registrar (LCR) birth certificate, baptismal, or barangay certificate can be submitted.

Related Posts