By Rey Panaligan
Justice Secretary Menardo I. Guevarra said Tuesday night that while the autopsy report from Kuwait and the one submitted by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) are the same on the cause of death of overseas Filipino worker (OFW) Jeanelyn P. Villavende, there were findings by the NBI that were not seen in the Kuwaiti autopsy.
Both reports state that the cause of death was “consistent with multiple, severe, traumatic injuries.”
“The autopsy results from Kuwait and the NBI are essentially the same. They have the same cause of death — Villavende was mauled to death. It is just that the NBI came out with other findings that were not seen in the Kuwaiti report. But the cause of death was the same due to trauma, due to infliction of injuries to the body,” he said.
Guevarra said the NBI autopsy report “showed laceration in both the genitalia and in the anal region, so there are indications of sodomy.”
“But we cannot yet conclusively say that she was raped or sodomized until we see the laboratory reports,” he said.
The four-page NBI autopsy report states that “buccal, vaginal, anal, swabbings, and fingernail clippings will be submitted to clinical pathology section for examination.”
The report also states that Villavende’s brain, heart and stomach were missing, which might have been because she was previously autopsied before her cadaver was returned to the Philippines and examined by the NBI.
Among the NBI findings in its autopsy are:
- “At the back part of the victim, from the left and right scapular area going downwards to the right and left lumbar area, there are infected, healing, healed wounds, biggest of which is 2.0 x 4.0 centimeters and the smallest is 0.4 x 0.5 centimeters, also recent contusions, C shaped in form are noted.
- “The right lower extremity, posterior aspect sustained contusions, C shaped in form, covering an area of 14.0 x 47.0 centimeters, also at the left lower extremity sustained the same injuries, covering an area of 11.0 x 44.0 centimeters.
- “The cranial vault is devoid of brain, instead it is stuffed with five pieces of cloth soaked with blood and one piece of used surgical glove.
- “The scalp is intact and showed hematoma at the left side, there is a small amount of blood at the crania cavity. No fracture of the cervical vertebrae is noted.
- “Thoracic rib cage including the sternum is cut/removed. The thoraco-abdominal cavity is stuffed with cloth soaked with blood.
- “The heart is missing.
- “The stomach is missing. The intestines are unremarkable. The liver shows reddish brown surfaces with no noted mass, lesions. The pancreas is missing.
- “Labia majora and minora – coaptated with contusions as the right and left side.
- “Urethra and peri urethra area – contusions are noted.
- “Peri hymenal area –contusion is noted.
- “Hymen – crescentic, tall, thick with fresh hymenal lacerations, complete, deep at 5:00 and 9:00 o’clock position.
- “Internal exam – contusion is found at the vaginal wall, superior aspect.
- “Anal examination – there are minute abrasions around the opening with diameter measuring 2.5 x 3.0 centimeters.
- “Cause of death – consistent with multiple, severe, traumatic injuries.”
The autopsy report was submitted by NBI Director Dante A. Gierran.
Villavende died last Dec. 28 in Kuwait. A preliminary report submitted by Labor Attache Nasser Mustafa states that Villavende was beaten to death and was already dead when she was brought to a hospital in Kuwait.