By Analou De Vera
The fourth polio case in the country was confirmed Tuesday night by the Department of Health (DOH).
“The test conducted by our Research Institute for Tropical Medicine and the National Institute of Infectious Diseases-Japan confirms the fourth polio case in the country,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III announced in a press statement.
The DOH, however, declined to provide further details on the latest polio case.
On October 28, the DOH confirmed that a four-year-old girl from Datu Piang, Maguindanao, as the third polio case in the country.
Earlier in September, a three-year-old girl from Lanao del Sur and a five-year-old boy from Laguna were confirmed as polio cases.
With the rising number of polio cases, Duque called on the public to “trust and actively participate” in the government’s immunization program.
“Polio is best prevented through vaccination. The virus is transmitted through oral-fecal route. Hand washing will also help in the prevention,” Duque said.
Duque said that the DOH already reached the 96-percent target coverage for the synchronized polio vaccination campaign conducted in Metro Manila and some parts of Mindanao from October 14 to 27.
The polio vaccination drive is set to be expanded to the whole of Mindanao on November 25 for the second round of the campaign, and will be concluded with the last round of vaccination on January 6, 2020.
Meanwhile, the last round of vaccination in Metro Manila is scheduled on November 25.