Bidding opens for Bohol power projects » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Bidding opens for Bohol power projects

Published

By Minvera BC Newman

TAGBILARAN CITY – Bohol will open the bidding for the first of big-ticket Bohol power projects in October to meet the province’s fast-growing demand for energy.

The bidding was discussed in a meeting of the Bohol Energy Development Advisory Group (BEDAG) called by the governor with the three Bohol power distribution utilities last week, The three are the two Bohol Electric Cooperatives (BOHECO I and II) and Bohol Light Company, Inc. (BLCI).

(PIXABAY / MANILA BULLETIN)

(PIXABAY / MANILA BULLETIN)

The project is a BEDAG innovation for a joint undertaking by the three utility firms under the so-called One Bohol Power (1BP).

Gov. Arthur Yap said the baseload facility targets a generation capacity of not less than 50 megawatts, “which is already more than half of the province’s current peak demand.”

According to Yap, the BOHECOs were just waiting for the submission of the BLCI board resolution on the agreement on the 1BP terms and conditions, which will be published also in October.

Yap said the contract will be awarded in May 2020, with the project expected to be completed by 2023.

The three utilities said their contracts will expire in late 2023.

There will likely be a simultaneous implementation of the construction of the Bohol-based power generation facility and the Cebu-Bohol power interconnection
project, according to Yap.

Consistent with the environment-friendly policy of the province, Yap said the utilities will have to comply with the province’s “non-coal” user policy for power plants. Yap said there are major considerations to determine the most qualified energy development investor include generation and supply reliability, resiliency
and cost-efficiency of the energy projects.

At an energy summit in Bohol last Sept. 17 the Department of Energy (DOE) provided inputs for a more viable and feasible ventures that generate power within Bohol island aside from the One Bohol project (1BP).

During the summit, Yap asked Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi to exempt Bohol from the policy of “standby emergency supply” of seven megawatts which should be used to make Bohol power supply stable and to maintain a reasonable power price level, Yap said.

Related Posts