Two more convicts in Chiong sisters’ rape-slay surrender » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Two more convicts in Chiong sisters’ rape-slay surrender

Published

By Jeffrey Damicog

Two persons convicted in the 1997 rape-slay of the Chiong sisters in Cebu surrendered Wednesday night, a day before the September 19 deadline set by President Duterte, Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete said.

Department of Justice (DOJ) Undersecretary Markk Perete (Photo courtesy of dumaguetecity.gov.ph / MANILA BULLETIN)

Department of Justice (DOJ) Undersecretary Markk Perete (Photo courtesy of dumaguetecity.gov.ph / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Perete said James Anthony Uy and Josman Aznar surrendered to the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).

“We have just received information that prematurely released-PDL (persons deprived of liberty) Aznar and Uy have surrendered to BuCor authorities,” Perete told reporters.

“The raw information relayed to us (for further verification) is that both surrendered at Gate 1, NBP (New Bilibid Prison), at around 6:30 p.m. today,” he added.

Ariel Balansag and Alberto Cano, their fellow convicts in the rape-slay, had earlier surrendered.

The four convicts have been serving their sentences at the NBP following their 1999 conviction for the rape-slay of Chiong sisters Jacqueline and Marijoy. They were earlier released from prison due to their good conduct time allowance (GCTA).

Due to concerns that many unqualified convicts have benefited from the Republic Act 10592, President Duterte gave the 1,914 convicts released since 2013 due to GCTA to surrender until September 19.

RA 10592, which was passed in 2013, revised provisions of the Revised Penal Code (RPC) and granted more GCTAs to inmates that would allow for their much earlier release.

Related Posts