By Marie Tonette Marticio
TACLOBAN CITY – At least two persons were injured when a protective concrete wall collapsed on five houses in Purok 5, Brgy. Mercedes, Catbalogan City on Wednesday, September 17.
The victims were identified as Annabel Cabarles, 36, and Kevin Cabarles,14 who were immediately rushed to the Samar Provincial Hospital.
City Engineer Rico Macabare, said the incident was a caused by a structural failure of the concrete wall holding up the activities of Richmark Construction owned by one Engr. Ricky Santos, and not caused by a landslide.
“When we say landslide, it is caused by nature, a volume of soil falls, or is caused by a calamity. This one is just a failure of structure,” Macabare said.
He added that the construction company was denied permit for the construction of the said structural wall, as they failed to submit its structural design and other documentary requirements.
The property owner has promised to shoulder the expenses and pay for the damages brought about by the incident.
The city government has imposed a forced evacuation of a total of 47 individuals to the Catbalogan Evacuation Center in Brgy. Payao.
Macabare said they saw cracks that pose possible danger of collapsing on the other portions of the slope protection.
The city government ha also enforced evacuation when TD Marilyn brought heavy rains last week prior to the incident.
City Mayor Dexter Uy has already ordered the stoppage of any construction activities in the area.
Macabare has recommended to enforce sheet filing as a remedy to the remaining structure in the area, which supports the wall, and remove the filled soil material of at least 1 meter from the baseline at about 45 degrees slope.