By Jeffrey Damicog
Department of Justice (DOJ) spokesman and Undersecretary Markk Perete disclosed on Thursday (Sept. 11) that the Bureau of Immigration (BI) is almost done checking whether any of the 1,914 heinous convicts released due Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) have left the country.
Perete said that among the released convicts checked by the BI none have yet fled the country.
“There are 126 names more that BI is verifying. Yun na lang ang natitira sa 1,900 plus na natapos na nila iverify (Those are the only ones left among the 1,900 plus undergoing verification),” said Perete, who supervises the BI.
The 1,914 convicts have been released since 2013 when Republic Act 10592 was passed. RA 10592 amended provisions of the Revised Penal Code (RPC) to increase the GCTAs of inmates.
The BI conducted the verification after Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said he has received reports that among the 1,914 convicts released through GCTA there have been a number who have already left the country.
This is contrary to earlier pronouncements from the DOJ that the BI has assured that none have left the country.
“Our understanding is that the DILG made the statement based on reports that reached them,” Perete previously said.
Perete said the DOJ has already reached out to the DILG to reveal the identities of the convicts who have already fled the country.