By Analou De Vera
The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday has called on the public to continue practicing preventive measures against dengue in order to curb the rising number of cases of the mosquito-borne disease.
“We remind our people to be aware of the preventive measures that are available to reverse the continuing rise in dengue cases… Hindi tayo pwedeng maging complacent (we cannot be complacent),” said Health Secretary Francisco Duque III.
Based on the recent report of the DOH- Epidemiology Bureau, cases of dengue is now nearing 200,000.
“From January 1 to August 3, we still have the same [figure] it’s 188,562 cases, including 807 deaths, and this is twice the number of what we had last year,” said Duque.
During the same period last year, there were 93,149 dengue cases.
Among the preventive measures that the DOH was advocating was the 4s strategy.
The said strategy stands for ‘search and destroy’ mosquito-breeding sites; employ ‘self-protection measures’ such as wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts; ‘seek early consultation,’ and ‘support fogging and spraying’ in hotspot areas.
The DOH also urged the public to conduct the ‘Sabayang 4-o’clock Habit para deng-get-out,’ which was a program that aimed at searching and destroying mosquito breeding sites.
Last August 6, the health department has declared a national dengue epidemic after more than 146,000 cases of dengue were recorded then.