By Analou De Vera
Amid the rising number of dengue cases in the Philippines, the Department of Tourism (DOT) said that it is still not yet a cause of concern when it comes to the country’s tourism industry.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said that they are in constant communication with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) regarding the dengue situation in the country.
“We’ve been talking with the NDRRMC. So far, okay naman, it’s not a cause of concern for our tourists,” said the tourism chief in an interview on Tuesday.
“We attend all their meetings… the Department of Tourism will be the first to announce if it’s a cause for concern,” she added.
However, Puyat still reminded tourists to be cautious.
“It’s not a cause for concern pero syempre [but of course] in any place you go to, mag-ingat lang [be vigilant],” she said.
Last August 6, the Department of Health (DOH) declared a national dengue epidemic as 146,062 cases were then recorded from January up to July 20.
The health department then urged other government agencies, local government units, schools, offices, and communities to conduct the ‘Sabayang 4-O’clock Habit para Deng-Get Out,’ a strategy that focuses on search and destroy of mosquito breeding sites.