By Jeffrey Damicog
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has filed charges against WellMed Dialysis Center owner Bryan Christopher Sy and two others over their alleged involvement in “ghost dialysis” claims with the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth).
The DOJ filed before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) last Monday 17 counts of estafa through falsification of public documents in violation of the Revised Penal Code (RPC).
Also named as Sy’s co-accused in all 17 counts are the two whistleblowers, namely, Edwin Roberto and Liezel Aileen De Leon.
DOJ prosecutors recommended to the RTC that each of the accused post a bail bond of P72,000 for each of the counts.
The charges were filed after Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Anna Noreen Devanadera issued a resolution last June 14 which found probable cause to indict the three over the “ghost dialysis” scam.
“The investigating prosecutor found that the Wellmed officers conspired in using falsified documents to collect payments from PhilHealth for alleged medical services to patients who were already dead,” DOJ spokesman Undersecretary Markk Perete said.
The three were brought for inquest last June 11 before Devanadera following their arrest by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) which summoned them last June 10 to shed light on the scam.
The NBI previously explained that the whistleblowers have to be charged before prosecutors ask the RTC to discharge them as state witnesses.
Apart from the three, the NBI also named as respondents in its complaint other employees and officers of WellMed, namely, Sy’s father Claro Sy; Sy’s wife Therese Francesca Tan-Sy; Dr. John Ray Gonzales; Alvin Sy; Dick Ong; Dr. Porsha Natividad; and Dr. Joemie Soriano.
“The inquest prosecutor meanwhile referred the case against seven other Wellmed officers/employees for preliminary investigation,” Perete said.