By MB Online
The Department of Agriculture (DA) announced Monday that they are selling mangoes at a discounted price amid a supply surplus.
According to Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol, they are currently planning to sell 1 million kilos of fresh mangoes this month at the TienDA Mango Marketing Program in Metro Manila.
In his official Facebook account, Piñol explained that the oversupply was due to the long dry spell “which precipitated profuse flowering and fruiting” of mangoes this season.
“Farmers estimate a surplus of 2 million kilos which they said would just rot if the government does not help them sell the fruits,” he added.
Mangoes priced from P20 to P50 per kilo will be sold in the following places:
- Department of Agriculture Central Office, Elliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City
- Bureau of Plant and Industry, Malate, Manila
- Muntinlupa City Hall
- Parañaque City Hall
- Waltermart North Edsa, Quezon City from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Waltermart Makati from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Waltermart Pasay from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.