By Betheena Unite
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III is hoping that cases of dengue this year would not reach over 200,000 amid expected spike on the number of dengue cases by the end of 2019.
As the rainy season begins, Duque expressed concern over the expected spike of dengue cases to 240,000 by the end of the year, prompting him to reiterate the practice of 4S against dengue.
According to the Department of Health’s latest data, there are 1,121 dengue cases recorded from May 5 to 11, bringing the cumulative total of dengue cases since January to 74, 273 cases.
It is, however, 23 percent lower compared to the cases recorded in the same period last year.
A total of 28,055 or 38 percent of the total recorded cases were tested for laboratory confirmation.
Duque said, “practically there is a spike of the number of cases every three to five years.”
“Hopefully we won’t reach the 240,000 cases because that would mean many will be hospitalized, which will lead to higher PhilHealth spending,” the secretary said, citing that over the past years, PhilHealth spending for dengue cases has reached P3.2 billion.
While Duque stated that dengue is part of the lives of Filipinos just like people from ASEAN, he issued the usual advice of taking precaution over this threat.
He reiterated the continuous practice of 4S — search and destroy, seek early consultation, self-protection measures, and say yes to fogging in hotspot areas.
“The usual advice is to take precaution now that rainy season is here. Flood waters are to be expected and because of that there will be a spike once again of seasonal infections,” Duque said.