Waste shipment from Hong Kong sent back » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Waste shipment from Hong Kong sent back

Published

By Betheena Kae Unite

A shipment of waste materials that was found its way to Misamis Oriental five months ago was returned to Hong Kong on Monday, the Bureau of Customs said.

In a statement Tuesday the bureau said it has facilitated the re-exportation of the waste product shipment to Hong Kong.

The waste shipment was sent back to Hong Kong aboard the MV SITC Negoya.

The re-exportation expenses were shouldered by the Hong Kong government, Customs said.

The shipment arrived at the Mindanao Container Terminal Sub-Port in Tagoloan last Jan. 2 and was consigned to the Crowd Win Industrial Limited Corporation.

Prior to its discovery, Customs was alerted to the shipment on Feb. 18 which was supposed to contain electronic accessories, District Collector Floro Calixihan said.

When it was inspected, the contained was founded to be loaded with 22 sling bags of mixed plastic waste.

The shipment was seized on March 5 and was finally forfeited in favor of the government on May 28.

Aside from Customs and port officials, environment officials and members of the Ecowaste Coalition were present during the conduct of re-exportation.

The return of the mixed waste was coordinated with the Hong Kong Environmental Protection Department.

It is scheduled to arrive in Hong Kong on June 10, the bureau said.

Last week, all 69 containers of Canadian waste were also sent back to its country of origin after almost five years of being dumped in the country.

The ship carrying the waste departed Port of Subic last May 31.

Related Posts