By Genalyn Kabiling
Malacañang won’t meddle in the Commission on Elections’ (Comelec’s) decision approving former National Youth Commission (NYC) chair Ronald Cardema’s bid to become a nominee of the Duterte Youth Partylist.
“We do not intrude nor interfere into the proceedings of any branch of the government or any constitutional body,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.
The poll body has announced it has approved the petition of Cardema and for others to become the substitute nominees of Duterte Youth Party-list group. The substitution bid came after the party’s first five nominees filed their notices of withdrawal on May 12 or a day before the elections.
Malacañang had earlier said Cardema was considered resigned after he sought to become a party-list substitute nominee last May 12. He has been asked to vacate his office and turn over official documents to the Office the President.
Panelo also disclosed that the Department of Justice was expected to conduct an inquiry into complaints against Cardema for alleged wrongdoing.
He said the Justice Department will study whether or not to file charges against Cardema over reports he allegedly presided over an agency meeting even after filing a petition to be a substitute nominee of the party-list group.
The DOJ will also look into allegations that Cardema allegedly used his government post to campaign for the party-list group, according to Panelo.