No suspect yet in Cavite labor group officer’s slay » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

No suspect yet in Cavite labor group officer’s slay

Published

By Anthony Giron

CAMP GEN. PANTALEON GARCIA, IMUS, Cavite—Police still have no suspect in the fatal shooting Sunday of Cavite-based labor group leader Leonides Estrella Segueña in Barangay Bunga, Tanza.

The 48-year-old Segueña, the vice chairman of Partido Manggagawa-Cavite, was gunned down in front of a day-care center by men on a motorcycle.

Major Jonathan Abuel Asnan, who heads the Cavite police’s Operations Branch and Plans and Strategy Management Unit, said Tuesday the identities of the assailants have yet to be established as of Tuesday morning.

“We still do not have suspects. The Tanza police are on operation,” Asnan said.

The National Partido Manggagawa (PM or Workers’ Party) said Segueña was shot while he was in a meeting with the workers’ group in the area.

He had multiple bullet wounds and was declared dead at the General Trias Maternity and Pediatric Hospital.

PM National Chairman Rene Magtubo said Segueña was a community leader with no personal enemies. “We believe this an extrajudicial killing for Dennis’ work as a labor organizer,” Magtubo said.

Segueña, called “Dennis” by colleagues, was also a union organizer and that PM-Cavite was a party-list nominee in the last month’s elections. He was turning 49 on June 8.

Magtubo called on the police to investigate and arrest the killers of Segueña. He also asked Congress to look into the extrajudicial killing of other labor organizers and union activists.

Related Posts