Businessman files P1-billion cyber libel raps vs Bikoy, Facebook, Youtube » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Businessman files P1-billion cyber libel raps vs Bikoy, Facebook, Youtube

Updated

By Jeffrey Damicog

Peter Joemel Advincula along with Facebook and Youtube face a P1-billion cyber libel complaint for having dragged the names of a Bicolano businessman and his resort in the “Bikoy videos.”

Owner of Misibis Resort and Hotel Management, Inc. Elizaldy Co

Owner of Misibis Resort and Hotel Management, Inc. Elizaldy Co

Elizaldy Co, owner of Misibis Resort and Hotel Management, Inc., filed before the Legaspi City Prosecutor’s Office two separate complaints which accused Advincula, Facebook and Youtube of cyber libel in violation of Section 4 of Republic Act 10175, the Cybercrime Prevention Act, in relation to Articles 353 and 356 of the Revised Penal Code.

Advincula had earlier claimed to be Bikoy in the viral videos “Ang Totoong Narcolist” which accused members of the family of President Rodrigo Duterte and senator-elect Christopher “Bong” Go of being involved in the illegal drugs trade.

In one of the videos, Advincula accused Co as a member of the drug syndicate Quadrangle Group.

“I and other officers of the Complainant Corporation received several phone calls and/or messages from our business partners, suppliers, creditors, clients, and some concerned individuals, inquiring about the veracity of the statements in the said video,” read Co’s complaint-affidavit.

“Evidently, my good name, business reputation and social standing, as well as the good name, business reputation and goodwill of Misibis Bay Resort, as well as its owner, Complainant Corporation, Misibis Resort, and Hotel Management Inc., which were painstakingly built through the years, were gravely tarnished, irreparably tainted and/or unduly smeared as a result of the publication of the subject video,” he lamented.

Co cited that “some banking and financial institutions with which we have significant financial dealings even raised questions on my creditworthiness.”

The businessman said his lawyers asked both Facebook and Youtube to take down the video last April 26 but the request was ignored and the videos remain online.

“Like ‘Bikoy’, Facebook and Youtube must be held accountable. Our legal system shouldn’t allow them to be part of a systematic campaign to destroy people and simply get away with it,” he said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Co-expressed relief after Advincula said during a press conference at the Philippine National Police (PNP) headquarters in Camp Crame that the “Bikoy” videos were lies fabricated by members of the political opposition.

Related Posts