By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
President Duterte said Tuesday that he was satisfied with how the government was able to meet the medical needs of those affected by the 6.1-magnitude earthquake that struck Luzon Monday.
During a situation briefing on the effects of the earthquake in affected areas in Pampanga, the President said: “I’m quite satisfied with this.”
Duterte was also pleased to hear from Health Secretary Francisco Duque III that there had been no problem when it comes to funds, medications, and even blood supply.
According to Duque, the Department of Health (DOH) has assisted 112 individuals who were brought to different hospitals in the area. Four of them were already discharged as of 3 p.m. Tuesday.
“And so far, they are being managed adequately. No problems in terms of medication and operations for the various seriously injured,” he said.
“It’s a range of injuries, Mr. President, from minor to major, others needing amputation kasi nga po nadurog ang mga buto, ang mga laman nabagsakan po at karamihan po dito ay mula doon sa (because their bones were crushed and they were pinned down. Most of them were from the) Chuzon [Supermarket] collapsed building,” he added.
Duque also assured that the DOH is doing everything to make sure that the medical assistance being provided is adequate. He added that the all hospital expenses will be shouldered by the DOH and PhilHealth.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has distributed 200 pieces of family food packs for affected families. They also provided burial cash assistance to initially 11 individuals as of 3 p.m. Tuesday.
The DSWD also provided food packs to 445 families housed in evacuation centers in Pampanga and Zambales.
Social Welfare Secretary Rolando Bautista said they still have more than 14,000 pieces of family food packs ready for distribution, and a total of P10.5 million on standby for utilization.
He added that the agency has conducted stress debriefing to affected families.
Emergency shelter assistance will be provided to 56 families from eight communities in Porac – P30,000 for a damaged house, and P10,000 for partially damaged.
Undersecretary Alain Pascua said the Department of Education (DepEd) recorded about 108 schools affected in the National Capital Region, Central Luzon, and Mimaropa. He added that about 80 classrooms have been damaged.
“The cost of the damage… about two hours ago, it already went up to about 120 million pesos,” he said.
“Most of the damages in the schools are minor and these are all — majority of them are fence and ceilings and pavements. No structural — no major structural damages on our buildings especially the new ones,” he added.
The President advised Pascua to approach the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) after learning that the DepEd main office is damaged. He also backed the proposal of the DepEd for the construction of their new main office in Taguig.
Trade Undersecretary Ireneo Vizmonte said prices of prime commodities are normal and below the suggested retail prices.
Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol said that despite the P50-million damage on irrigation canals and dams, their production and production targets will not be affected.
The Department of Labor and Employment assured that the 105 workers of the collapsed Chuzon Supermarket in Porac can be readily absorbed by the local economy.
Read more: Strong 6.1 quake jolts Metro, Luzon