By Erma Edera
A few hours after an earthquake struck Manila, a two-hour fire broke out in a residential area in Leveriza, Malate, Manila yesterday.
According to Fire Inspector Louie Puno, arson investigator, the fire started at around 8:45 p.m. along Kalayaan Street, Barangay 711, Leveriza, Malate, Manila on April 22.
It was raised to second alarm at 8:57 p.m.and was declared fire out at around 11:18 p.m. on April 22.
Puno said the cause of the fire was a lighted cigarette thrown into a garbage trash can which ignited the combustible materials inside it.
He clarified that the fire was not related to the 6.1 magnitude earthquake that struck Luzon.
The Manila Police District said there were no casualties and injuries reported during the incident.
The fire had razed seven houses, affecting four families, with damage to property estimated at P60,000.