By Marie Tonette Marticio
CALBAYOG CITY – A little over 150 loose firearms in Samar were turned over the Eastern Visayas police as part of the election gun ban.
Sr. Supt. Rolando Miranda, chief of the Regional Special Operations Task Group revealed turnover of firearms during the Firearms Safekeeping Caravan, Ugnayan ng Simbahan at Pulis (USAP) Solidarity Walk and Peace Covenant Signing for Secure and Fair Elections held in Calbayog Saturday.
Miranda said they have notified firearms holders with expired licenses to renew or surrender their weapons.
The 152 firearms were confiscated at checkpoints or surrendered in the police’s house to house campaign, he said.
There were candidates who surrendered their firearms, including elected officials. Most of the guns were pistols, but the haul included shotguns and submachine guns.
“So far sumusunod naman sila sa panawagan natin, if they don’t surrender their firearms, then we will file a search warrant against them,” Miranda said.
The police will take temporary custody of the guns and will return them to the owners once they secure the necessary permits.
Miranda noted the importance of gun-collection campaign in mitigating crimes in the province.
“If these firearms are at loose, there is a possibility na magamit sa hindi maganda, with us taking temporary custody, 100 percent sure hindi magagamit ‘yun. We are taking the possibility of these people to use firearms,” he said.