40 dead, 20 hurt in New Zealand mosque shootings » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

40 dead, 20 hurt in New Zealand mosque shootings

Updated

By Agence France-Presse

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand – At least one gunman who targeted crowded mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch killed 40 people and seriously injured 20 others on Friday, police said, in what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described as ”one of New Zealand’s darkest days.”

 DEADLY CHRISTCHURCH ATTACKS – Police officers push back members of the public following a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday. At least 30 people have been reported in the attacks on two mosques in Christchurch. (EPA/EFE)


DEADLY CHRISTCHURCH ATTACKS – Police officers push back members of the public following a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday. At least 30 people have been reported in the attacks on two mosques in Christchurch. (EPA/EFE)

Ardern said that New Zealand’s threat level had been raised to ”high” in response to a deadly terror attack on two mosques in Christchurch.

”We have lifted our threat level from low to high,” Ardern said, adding that three people had been detained who were not on extremist watch lists.

”We have tightened our response from our agencies at the border, at the airports. In fact, at every level, we have a heightened response.”

She said New Zealand was attacked because “we represent diversity.”

The gunman was a right-wing extremist with Australian citizenship, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

The mosques were packed with wor­shippers gathering for Friday afternoon prayers, and members of the Bangladesh cricket team were arriving when the shooter opened fire.

Local media reported at least nine people were dead and the South Island city was placed in lockdown as police hunted for an ”active shooter.”

”This is an evolving incident and we are working to confirm the facts, how­ever we can confirm there have been a number of fatalities,” commissioner Mike Bush said.

He said one person was in custody but there may be other offenders and armed officers were attending a number of scenes.

”Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high,” Bush said
Ardern said she was unable to confirm the number of fatalities, saying events were still unfolding.

”It is clear that this is one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” she told report­ers. ”Clearly, what has happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.”

The Masjid al Noor in central Christchurch was filled with worship­pers, when the attack happened, as was a second mosque in suburban Linwood.

A Palestinian man in the mosque, who did not want to give his name, said he saw a man shot in the head.

”I heard three quick shots then after about 10 seconds it started again it must have been an automatic no one could pull a trigger that quick,” he told AFP.

”Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood.”
Another witness told stuff.co.nz he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting and saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside when he fled.

Another man said he saw children being shot.

”There were bodies all over me,” he said.

An eyewitness told Radio New Zea­land he heard shots fired and four people were lying on the ground, with ”blood everywhere”.

Unconfirmed reports said the shoot­er was a wearing military-style cloth­ing.

Commissioner Bush said all schools in the city had been placed in lockdown in response to ”a serious ongoing firearms incident”.

”Police urge anyone in central Christchurch to stay off the streets,” he said in a statement.

Central city buildings, including the Civic Offices and Central Library, were also locked down.

The city council offered a helpline for parents looking for kids attending a mass climate change rally nearby.

”Please do not try and come and collect your children until police say it is safe for people to come into the central city,” they said.

There was no official information on casualties but a Bangladesh cricket team spokesman said none of the play­ers were hurt.

”They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel,” he told AFP.

He said the attack happened as some of Bangladesh players disembarked from a team bus and were about to enter the mosque.

He said most of the players went to the mosque.

He said Bangladesh cricket board is in contact with New Zealand cricket authorities and would take further deci­sions after consultation

 

Related Posts