By Analou De Vera
The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday reported that there are now 11,459 measles cases, including 189 deaths reported nationwide as of February 20.
The regions with the highest number of cases are National Capital Region with 2,936 cases. It was followed by Calabarzon with 2,635 cases; Central Luzon with 1,643 cases; Western Visayas with 576 cases; and Northern Mindanao with 572 cases.
“We are not seeing any signs of slowing down yet as many cases are still being reported as of now,” said Health Secretary Francisco Duque III during a press briefing on Thursday at the DOH-Central office in Manila.
“We are hoping and praying for the end of this… We are looking at first week of April a reversal of the outbreak trend,” he added.
Meanwhile, the health chief said that there is also a recommendation to declare measles outbreak in some municipalities in Cagayan Valley (Region 2).
“We are seeing pockets of cases that are concerning for us, percentage wise. But in actual numbers, It is still actually low,” said Duque.
Data showed that there are 82 cases of measles with one death in Cagayan Valley, as of February 20. During the same period last year, only six cases were recorded.
Recently, the DOH declared measles outbreak in National Capital Region, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Western Visayas, and Central Visayas.