By Betheena Unite
Dredging works in Manila Bay will begin soon as water quality tests in the bay have been completed, the Department of Public Works and Highways announced Friday.
Results of the water survey will determine the amount of material that will be removed from the bay, according to Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar.
“Our Bureau of Equipment has conducted bathymetric or depth measurement survey, water quality test, and ocular inspection at Manila Bay and Navotas River. The result of these surveys will be the basis of dredging activities in the coming weeks,” Villar said.
Dredging, according to Bureau of Equipment Director Toribio Noel Ilao, will be the major mechanism for the removal of the accumulated pollutants in Manila Bay.
The bathymetric survey, on the other hand, was conducted to estimate the amount of material to be removed and specify the areas that must be given focus during the clean-up, Ilao added.
A deployment plan for equipment fleet composed of amphibious excavators, dumping scows, dump trucks, debris segregator, street sweepers, and vacuum sewer cleaner will be prepared.
The equipment will be strategically deployed on the last week February to the first week of March, Ilao said.
The Navotas River; Estero de Vitas in Tondo, Manila; and the priority 100 meters from the shoreline of Manila Bay, spanning its approximately 1.5-kilometer portion from Manila Yacht Club breakwater to US Embassy were identified as the three dredging sites.
Water quality in Manila Bay, Villar said, will be regularly monitored to determine adjustments in achieving the targets of its massive rehabilitation.
Meanwhile, the department will procure additional spider excavators and trash skimmer within the year to assist in the rehabilitation mission of the bay.