By Genalyn Kabiling
President Duterte is not inclined to hold peace talks with the New People’s Army (NPA) amid their continued attacks on government troops.
In his visit to Jolo, Sulu last Monday, the President bewailed the insincerity of the communist rebels in the peace negotiations since they continue to commit atrocities.
“Ganun rin sa NPA. Hindi na ako makipag-usap sa inyo. Eh walang magawa eh. Magpakabuti ka, pasunud-sunuran ka lang, istorya ganun. You practically begged na… “’Adre mag-istorya lang tayo. Wala tayong mag… [Also with the NPA, I will not talk to you anymore. There’s nothing we can do. You try to be good, follow them to talk. You practically begged to.. ‘Let’s talk and we will not..'” ],” he said during his visit to Jolo, Sulu last Monday.
“Tapos in return ito ang ibigay ninyo sa akin. Mga kabaong pati iyong mga naputol mga paa. Ay p***** i**. Hindi ako… ‘Di na bale ako makulong pagkatapos nito. Akin lahat ‘yan, akin lahat [Then in return, you will give me this — coffins, dismembered legs. Son of a b*tch. I am not.. It does not matter if I land in jail. That’s all mine],” he said.
The President earlier said he was not closing his door on the peace talks with the communist rebels. He noted that rebels, who were waging a futile rebellion for more than five decades, were only being deceived by communist leader Jose Maria Sison.
Duterte previously directed the military to destroy the rebel group as he expressed anger towards their attacks against troops and civilians. The peace talks have been formally terminated through a proclamation issued by the President in November 2017.