By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
Malacañang condemned the dastardly killing of former Cebu City assistant Mary Ann Castro who was shot dead by an unidentified man last week.
“We are outraged by the brutal and brazen ambush of former Cebu City Assistant Prosecutor Mary Ann Castro,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement Sunday morning.
“We assure everyone, including the family, relatives and friends of Ms. Castro that justice will be served,” he added.
According to Panelo, the Department of Justice, through the National Bureau of Investigation, has been directed to immediately look into the crime, identify the perpetrators and bring them to the bar of justice.
The Philippine National Police has likewise been directed to check into possible lapses, if any, considering the incident happened during an election gun ban, he added.
Reports said Castro was shot dead by a man riding a motorcycle on the night of January 17 along Escario Street in Cebu City.
Castro was said to be on board a yellow Nissan Juke and was heading to the Capitol Area when she was shot five times.