By Jel Santos
The public was reminded by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Monday to use designated alternate routes starting January 19 with the closure of Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge or the “Rockwell Bridge.”
Reconstruction will last for 30 months as the government will make convert it into a four-lane bridge – stronger than before. The cities of Makati and Mandaluyong are connected by the bridge.
Jose Arturo Garcia, MMDA general manager, said they are advising the public to take the following alternate routes as they expect heavy traffic during the construction:
- All vehicles coming from the Cities of Mandaluyong, San Juan and Quezon City using the Mabuhay Lane (Sgt. Bumatay and Barangka Drive) must take right at Pantaleon, then Coronado take the Makati –Mandaluyong Bridge to destination.
- Vehicles coming from Maysilo and San Francisco straight ahead to Coronado and Makati – Mandaluyong Bridge to destination.
- Other vehicles coming Mandaluyong going to Makati Business Center, shall also take EDSA then Guadalupe Cloverleaf to J. P. Rizal Avenue Extension, left at Estrella to destination.
- All exiting vehicles from TIVOLI Garden Residences shall use the back gate located at the Private Road (Sen. N. Gonzales Road).
- All vehicles coming from Makati Avenue, take P. Burgos (converted to one way), straight to Makati – Mandaluyong Bridge, Coronado then San Francisco can take Mabuhay Lane or to destination.
- Vehicles coming from Rockwell take Estrella then right at Gumamela Street, then left at Camia Street to J.P. Rizal to destination.
- Public Utility Jeepney (PUJ) and Tricycle shall be diverted at the Private Road (Sen. N. Gonzales Road) and vice versa.
The MMDA general manager said over 50, 000 vehicles will be catered by the bridge after its reconstruction.
He appealed to public to bear with them as the bridge will surely benefit many motorists in the future, saying travel time will be faster.