ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 10, 2019) » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 10, 2019)

Updated

Cop shot dead in QC eatery

A member of the Police Security and Protection Group in Camp Crame was shot dead by a motorcycle-riding gunman while having his dinner at his favorite eatery in Quezon City on Wednesday night.

Investigators of the Quezon City Police District said the victim identified as Senior Police Officer 2 (SPO2) Venancio Hidalgo, Jr., 39, succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds on different parts of his body.

According to Superintendent Ophelio Concina Jr., Project 4 Police Station (PS-8) commander, Hidalgo was eating at a roadside carinderia on No. 23 JP Rizal Street in Barangay Marilag around 9:25 p.m.

Minutes later, a man wearing black and white helmet and a red jacket onboard an orange motorcycle appeared behind the victim busy having his dinner.

The man immediately pulled out his handgun and suddenly fired shots at the unaware cop hitting him on his back and on different parts of his body.

Hidalgo died on the spot while the still unidentified suspect escaped the crime scene and sped off towards Aurora Boulevard.

Authorities were able to collect from the scene four pieces of spent bullets of a caliber .45 handgun while a Beretta caliber 9mm service firearm with ammunition, and several identification cards were recovered from the victim.

According to the crew of the eatery, Hidalgo was their frequent customer and is usually having his dinner there.

Probers have yet to establish the identity of the suspect and the motive behind the incident while further investigation is ongoing.

A Special Investigation Task Group is also sought to be formed for the immediate solution of the case. (Alex San Juan)

Man nabbed for falsifying marriage contract

A husband previously arrested for allegedly falsifying his marriage contract was again apprehended minutes after he posted his bail money, now for two another cases of Bigamy and Concubinage filed against him.

Senior Supt. Dindo Reyes, San Juan City Police chief, identified the suspect as Richard Galmayo Jr, 62, of Barangay Medicion 1B, Imus, Cavite.

Reyes said that Galmayo was arrested Wednesday by the members of the Warrant and Subpoena Section of San Juan City Police minutes after he posted his P12,000 bail for the arrest warrant issued by San Juan City Metropolitan Trial Court (MTC) Branch 57, Judge Marianito Santos for charges of Falsification of Public Document dated February 20, 2007.

The case was filed by his wife after she found out the he allegedly falsified their certificate of marriage and declared he was single to marry another woman on April 15, 2002 in Muntinlupa City.

“Our men were holding two separate warrants of arrest against Gulmayo and then they quickly served the said warrants while the suspect was just about to leave the jail premises minutes after he posted bail,” Reyes explained

Reyes said, that another arrest warrant against Gulmayo was issued by Muntinlupa City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 205, Judge Myrna Lim-Verano for charges of Bigamy dated June 11, 2007.

Moreover, another arrest warrant against Gulmayo was issued by the Muntinlupa City RTC, Branch 80, Judge Paulino Gallegos for the charge of Concubinage dated December 15, 2006.

Gulmayo, who worked abroad since the 1980s as an aircon technician in hospitals in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, had just returned in the country last year after he finished his last contract, police said.

Police added that Galmayo admitted for having another marriage despite his previous marriage since he claimed that he converted into a Muslim in 2006 which allows a man to have up to four wives.

The suspect is again back in jail at the San Juan City Police Custodial Facility. (Jhon Aldrin Casinas)

Related Posts