By Analou De Vera
Three more cases of firecrackers-related injuries have been reported by the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday, bringing the total number of such injuries to 43.
The total figure is 51 percent lower compared to the same period last year, and 75 percent lower than the five-year average, the DOH noted in its latest report.
The three new cases were from Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, and Bicol Region.
The DOH said that of the 43 cases, 41 injuries were due to exploding firecrackers while the remaining two cases were firecracker ingestion. The cases of firecracker ingestion involved a 3-year-old girl from Valenzuela City on Dec. 21; and a 6-year-old boy from Tondo, Manila on Dec. 25. Both of them were discharged from the hospital.
Majority of the victims were males. The youngest victim was 2-years-old and the oldest is 69-years-old, the DOH said.
Twenty-four individuals sustained blast injuries without amputation, five sustained blast injuries that resulted in the amputation of the affected limbs, while 14 sustained eye injuries.
‘Boga,’ which is listed as an illegal firecracker caused 12 injuries. Other firecrackers that caused the injuries were ‘Kwitis,’ ‘Triangle,’ ‘Piccolo,’ ‘Baby Rocket,’ ‘Bawang,’ ‘Camara,’ and ‘Luces.’
The health department started its surveillance last on 21 and will last until January 5, 2019.
Meanwhile, caused-oriented group EcoWaste Coalition conducted on Friday its ‘Iwas Paputoxic’ campaign in Quezon City. The campaign underscored the harmful effects of firecrackers to humans and to the environment.
The group’s chemical safety campaigner Thony Dizon reiterated that the use of firecrackers may result in burn injuries, severed fingers, hazardous residuals and toxic fumes.
“We hope to promote alternative merrymaking that will protect life and property and put public health and safety ahead of profit,” said Dizon.