By Leslie Ann Aquino
The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) expects the release of the final list of candidates for the May 2019 midterm polls by December 15 to include national and local aspirants.
“We are expecting the release of the final list by December 15,” Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez said.
The list, he said will also include those that still have pending disqualification cases.
“If your disqualification comes after that cut-off date, then your name will still be on the ballot,” said Jimenez.
He explained that the public will just be informed that this particular person has been disqualified.
In the event that they still get votes, Jimenez said those votes will be considered “stray.”
When asked if the alleged nuisance candidates facing motuproprio petitions to deny due course or cancellation of Certificate of Candidacy will also be included in the list, the poll official replied: “By that time, there will likely be ruling on those cases already.”
“When you talk about a petition to deny due course or to cancel a COC, the evidence only involves those that can be found in the face of the COC. So that is easier to decide than a petition for disqualification,” Jimenez added.
The Comelechad released last month the tentative list of candidates for the midterm polls.
But the poll body said the posting of the list in their website is for the purpose of checking the name to appear on the official ballot only.
Included in the tentative list are 148 senatorial aspirants and 185 party-list groups.