By Analou De Vera
In time for the observance of All Saints’ Day, a cause-oriented group has warned the public against buying candles with leaded wicks.
The EcoWaste Coalition said it recently found that some candles with leaded cored wicks are being sold in Binondo, Manila. The tests conducted by the group has detected high concentration of lead in the wicks of 20 candles it submitted to a private laboratory for analysis.
“We are worried by the continued sale of these imported toxic candles that can affect air quality and cause lead poisoning hazard, especially to young children,” said Thony Dizon, chemical safety campaigner of EcoWaste Coalition.
“To prevent lead air pollution, we ask the manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers of such candles to cease and desist from marketing candles with leaded wicks. Consumers should not light such candles that can result in serious health problems,” added Dizon.
The group has urged the Food and Drug Administration to issue another advisory “imposing outright ban on the manufacture, importation, distribution and sale of such candle.”
The group said exposure to lead may result in neurological damage as well as delayed mental and physical development among children.
“It’s high time for the Philippines to follow suit and take action banning such toxic candles to prevent lead air pollution and protect children’s health,” said Dizon.