By Genalyn Kabiling
President Duterte has promised to support the campaign seeking to raise public awareness on the proposed shift to federalism.
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said the President has agreed to attend the upcoming launch of the federalism information drive to be initiated by the inter-agency task force.
The President’s commitment was given during a meeting with Medialdea, Senator Aquilino Pimentel III, and former Chief Justice Reynato Puno, head of the consultative committee that prepared the draft federal Constitution, in Malacañang last week.
“We informed him about the information drive which we are going to do once our task here ends,” Medialdea said during his remarks at the consultative committee last Saturday.
“The President has expressly said he will personally be present at the opening salvo of the information drive,” he added.
The Palace earlier announced the creation of a government task force that will spearhead the public information drive on federalism, a priority measure of the President.
The group, that includes the Office of the Executive Secretary, Department of Interior and Local Government, and Presidential Communications Operations Office, will reportedly have an initial funding of P90 million.
The planned information campaign will be pursued after a Pulse Asia survey showed majority of Filipinos were opposed to amending the Constitution towards the shift to federal form of government.