Dry run for driver-only car ban starts on Aug. 15 » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Dry run for driver-only car ban starts on Aug. 15

Published

By Jel Santos

The dry run for the driver-only car ban will coincide with the implementation of the provincial bus ban on August 15.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority is still optimistic that the scheme that drew flak from netizens will diminish congestion on EDSA during rush hour. Outraged by the driver-only ban, some people took their dismay on social media.

(MANILA BULLETIN)

(MANILA BULLETIN)

The Metro Manila Council (MMC) approved the implementation of the driver-only ban this week.

Jose Arturo Garcia, MMDA general manager, cited their agency’s survey showing that around 60 to 75 percent traveling EDSA are single occupancy vehicles, which translates 148, 516 to 185, 645 units per day.

“With the proposed policy, EDSA will have about 40 percent less cars. This will decrease the travel time of motorists,” he said.

The time that driver-only car ban will be implemented in the morning is from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. In the afternoon, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Such time was determined by the MMDA as rush hour.

Garcia appealed to the public to give a chance to the driver-only ban, saying it promotes carpooling which will lessen vehicles traversing EDSA during rush hour.

Should the dry run be successful, violators of the driver-only ban will be fined P1, 000.

No contact apprehension will be used in apprehending violators, Garcia noted.

Meantime, the provincial bus ban on EDSA will push through on the same day.

To recall, the implementation of the provincial bus ban had been moved for several times because of the Valenzuela interim terminal. As of now, the interim terminal still nears completion, but the MMDA decided to implement the ban despite such.

“We are pushing through with the provincial bus ban starting August 15, only during rush hours,” Garcia said on Thursday during an inspection at the terminal.

MMDA said buses hailing from the north shall end their route in Cubao in Quezon City while those coming from the south shall end their route in Pasay City. Those without terminals in Pasay City can use the agency-operated Southwest Interim Provincial Terminal (SWIPT).

The policy takes effect from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., from Monday to Friday.
Garcia said violators will be slapped with P2,000 fine.

Related Posts