PH consulate in San Francisco alerts Filipinos on possible evacuation due to the wildfire » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia
  • Home Category
  • National
  • PH consulate in San Francisco alerts Filipinos on possible evacuation due to the wildfire

PH consulate in San Francisco alerts Filipinos on possible evacuation due to the wildfire

Updated

By Roy Mabasa

The Philippine consulate in San Francisco on Wednesday alerted the members of the Filipino community living in and around Lake County in Northern California to heed possible evacuation orders from local authorities following the wildfire that continues to spread in that area located about 178 kilometers from the state capital, Sacramento.

In this photo provided by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the Pawnee Fire wildfire burns northeast of Clearlake Oaks, Calif., early Sunday, June 24, 2018. The fire burned actively throughout the night in the Spring Valley area, northeast of Clearlake Oaks in Lake County. The Pawnee Fire, which broke out Saturday, was one of four wildfires burning in largely rural areas as wind and heat gripped a swath of California from San Jose to the Oregon border. (Jonathan Cox/California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection via AP/ MANILA BULLETIN)

File photo — (Jonathan Cox/California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection via AP/ MANILA BULLETIN)

Consul General Henry Bensurto said his office has been in touch with authorities in Lake County and advised those in the Filipino community who may require assistance to immediately contact the consulate.

Bensurto said no Filipino has so far been reported to have been affected by the fire.

The consulate official said there are more than 1,700 members of the Filipino Community in Lake County.

Reports showed that the wildfire, which broke out on Saturday evening (Sunday in Manila), has already scorched 13,000 acres of land, destroyed 12 homes and 10 other buildings.

It was also reported that about 1,500 people remain under mandatory evacuation orders as the blaze continue to sweep through the area due to the reported unusually hot weather, high winds and highly flammable vegetation.

Last year was considered as California’s largest and most destructive fire season with nearly 9,000 wildfires tore through the state, burning 1.2 million acres of land, destroying more than 10,800 structures and killing at least 46 people.

Tags: , , , , ,

Related Posts