ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (June 26, 2018) » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (June 26, 2018)

Updated

Druggie killed in shootout

A former drug surrenderee was killed in an armed encounter with police along NP Cruz in Ususan, Taguig City on Monday.

The fatality was identified as Jaime Centeno alias “Jimboy” or “Josh”, of legal age, a resident of NP Cruz, Ususan, Taguig City.

In the report submitted to Taguig City Police Chief Police Senior Supt. Alexander Santos, the incident occurred at around 2 in the afternoon involving the members of the Taguig Police Community Precinct 6.

Investigation showed that members of PCP 6, Taguig CPS led by Police Chief Inspector Torres, were conducting mobile patrol along NP Cruz St, Brgy. Ususan Taguig City when they chanced upon the suspect standing at the alley right in front of the house gate No. 105 NP Cruz.

The patrolling policemen stopped in front of the house but Centeno immediately ran inside the alley and fired his firearm towards the officers. In return the police officers went after him, but he entered his house and jumped out at the window landing on the river.

The policemen continued going after the suspect until he was cornered at No. 115 NP Cruz. He once again fired at the police officers who retaliated and killed him on the spot.

Recovered from the encounter scene was a caliber .38 revolver with fired bullets and live ammos. A slug was also recovered. Records showed that Centeno was a surrenderee who was included in the drug watch list in May of last year. (Dhel Nazario)

Dog meat eating merits conviction

A Caloocan court has sentenced a man for killing a dog and cooking it as a meal.

In his order dated June 14 and released to the media Tuesday, Metropolitan Trial Court Branch 52 Judge Dorothy Grace Daguna-Inciong, convicted Roberto Olivar for violating the amended Animal Welfare Act.

Olivar was ordered to pay a fine of P5,000 but was spared a prison sentence.

On March 17, Emma Manalili, who rescues stray pets and owns 17 dogs and 12 cats, reported Olivar to police after she saw a Facebook video showing what he called “animal cruelty.”

In the video, a man who was later identified as Olivar, was seen hitting the head of a dog before feeding his four other dogs. He then brought the animal into his house to cook.

“I cried upon seeing the video. As an animal lover, I cannot tolerate that act and that should never happen again,” Manalili said in an interview.

Manalili said that the uploader of the video was not interested to file a complaint so she was the one who pursued to charge Olivar.

Olivar admitted killing and eating the dog. He even asked forgiveness for what he did, Manalili added.

After nine days in detention, Olivar was asked to pay a bail bond of P20,000.,

Meanwhile, according to the amended Animal Welfare Act, a convicted animal killer shall be imprisoned for one year and six months to two years and/or fined an amount not exceeding P100,000.

Manalili, however, said she was somehow disappointed in the decision, saying P5,000 is not commensurate with the dog’s life

“He deserves to be in jail,” she said. (Kate Louise Javier)

Get services of guards, cops tell traders

The second top cop of the Caloocan police encouraged restaurant owners to hire security guards following a series of robbery-holdup incidents in the city.

Supt. Ferdinand Del Rosario, city police deputy for administration, said it is not required but he advised not just restaurant owners, but also other establishments to have security guards.

“They should have security guards. It’s a deterrent factor so the criminals would not attempt,” Del Rosario explained.

According to him, they will also increase police visibility by adding more detective beat patrollers or police officers wearing civilian clothes.

On Monday, six masked men wearing helmets robbed Hideout Tea and Coffee House along Lapu-Lapu Street in Barangay 76 around 8:52 p.m.

A closed-circuit television footage showed that customers were eating at the restaurant when the gunmen onboard two motorcycles arrived and declared a holdup.

Some customers ran away while the suspects took away five cell phones and other belongings worth P192,500 from seven victims

Four days before, Caloocan City prosecutor Migñon Chrix Cu and his common-law-wife Aister Antonio were also robbed at gunpoint by six unidentified men wearing helmets, police said.

The incident happened when Cu and Antonio were waiting for their order at Manzano’s Kitchen along Macabagdal Street in Barangay 89 around 8 p.m.

The suspects entered the place and took away two cell phones worth P100,000 before they escaped onboard three motorcycles.

Sr. Supt. Restituto Arcangel, city police chief, said it is possible that the two incidents were perpetrated by the same group. (Kate Louise Javier)

Tags: , , ,

Related Posts