By Roy Mabasa
The Philippine government on Tuesday said it has requested the Saudi Arabia authorities to dig deeper into the death of an overseas Filipino worker who was struck by a vehicle in Jeddah on June 12.
This surfaced following allegations of negligence on the part of the employer of the 51-year-old construction worker from Butuan City who died in the hospital four days after the incident.
Philippine consul general Edgar Badajos said his office is also inquiring with the hospital where the victim expired to determine if the employer extended all the possible assistance to keep him alive.
The foreign affairs office has assured the family of the victim of necessary assistance including the repatriation of his remains.
Last week, the Philippine government also sought for the autopsies on the remains of two Filipino household workers who figured in two separate “suicide” incidents in Lebanon and Saudi Arabia.
Philippine Embassy officials in Beirut and Riyadh have coordinated the autopsy procedures with both the Lebanese and Saudi authorities to rule out foul play in the deaths of the two Filipino workers.
On June 11, a 35-year old Filipino household service worker from Cagayan province died after reportedly jumping from her employer’s sixth-floor apartment in the Lebanese capital, according to the Philippine Embassy in Beirut.
The second case involved a 40-year-old mother of two from Agusan del Sur who allegedly hanged herself with an electric cord at her employer’s residence in Al Hasa, outside Riyadh.
The Department of Foreign Affairs is expecting the findings in both cases to be completed this week.