Palace welcomes House OK of committee report on BBL » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Palace welcomes House OK of committee report on BBL

Published

By Genalyn Kabiling

 

Malacañang has lauded the passage of a House committee report on the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law, saying the measure was a significant step to end decades-long armed struggle and promote genuine peace in Mindanao.

“We welcome the passage of the Committee Report of House Bill 6475, which provides for the Basic Law for the Bangsamoro,” Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said in a statement.

Newly-appointed Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (Jansen Romero / MANILA BULLETIN)

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
(Jansen Romero / MANILA BULLETIN)

“The President has expressed his support and commitment to the Bangsamoro Basic Law as a significant step towards our quest for real and lasting peace in Mindanao,” he added.

Roque said the creation of a Bangsamoro region would “realize the aspirations of our Moro brothers and sisters for genuine self-determination and hopefully end the decade-long armed struggle, violence, and injustice in Mindanao.”

Presidential adviser on the peace process Jesus Dureza also welcomed the approval of the House report on the proposed BBL and expressed hope it will soon be passed into law.

“It’s another step closer to every Bangsamoro’s dream. I am confident both Houses of Congress will soon make their dreams a reality,” he said.

Three House committees have recently approved the committee report on the proposed BBL without amendments. The bill seeks to replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao with a new political entity Bangsamoro region.

The House committees on local government, Muslim affairs, and peace, reconciliation and unity were in favor of the BBL report, voting 32-3, 27-3, and 27-3, respectively.

In his visit to Maguindanao last month, President Duterte said he might resign from the presidency if the BBL would not be passed this year. Duterte admitted that he would rather step down if he could not resolve the problem of Muslim insurgency in the south.

Congress leaders have pledged to pass the long-overdue BBL by May 30 during a recent meeting with the President in Malacañang.

The President has earlier warned of possible outbreak of hostilities in Mindanao if the government fails to pass the bill seeking to create the Bangsamoro region.

Read more: Joint panel of 3 House committees approves Bangsamoro Basic Law

Related Posts