By Leslie Ann Aquino
The issuance of visas to foreign workers in 87 professions in 10 employment sectors has been suspended for six months by the Sultanate of Oman.
The Department of Labor and Employment cited the advisory of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) saying Oman’s Ministry of Manpower (MoM) has issued Ministerial Decision 38/2018 on January 24 suspending the authorization to hire foreign workers as part of its nationalization policy in the private sector to provide 25,000 jobs to Omani citizens.
“Until July 24, 2018, the Ministry of Manpower will not process work visas for the listed positions as the government assesses the impact of the policy on its citizens and possible benefits to the economy within suspension period,” said DOLE in a statement.
However, visas issued before January 24, 2018 will remain valid until its expiration.
Establishments registered with the Oman Public Authority for Small and Medium Enterprises Development (RIYADA) and those insured with the Public Authority for Social Insurance (OASI) are exempted from the temporary ban.
The jobs affected by the visa suspension are:
· Information and Technology sector — information security specialist, geographic information system specialist, electronic computer networks, programmed machines maintenance – electronic, electronic calculator maintenance, graphic designer, electronic surveillance – equipment assembly, electronics technician – telecom, electronics technician – control Instrument, electronic technician – medical equipment, electronics technician broadcast, electronic technician – programmed machines, electronic technician – computer networks, computer programmer, computer engineer, and computer operator.
· Accounting and Finance sector: bank notes and money changer, bank notes technician, account auditing technician, general accounting technician, cost account technician, costs accountant, and insurance collector.
· Marketing and Sales sector: sales specialist, storekeeper, commercial agent, commercial manager, and procurement logistics specialist.
· Administration and Human Resources sector: business administration specialist, public relation specialist, human resources specialist, administrative director
· Insurance industry: insurance agent general, real estate insurance agent, cargo insurance agent, life insurance agent, vehicle insurance agent, factory insurance agent
· Information and Media Professions: media specialist, page maker, paper pulp machine operator, bookbinding machine operator, decorative books operator, calendar operator, paper dyeing machine operators, bill printing machine operator, cylinder press operator, rotating press operator, offset printing machine operator, color press operator, paleographic press operator, paper folder machine operator, paper coating machine operator, and advertising agent
· Medical Professions: male nurse, pharmacist assistant, and medical coordinator
· Airport Professions: aviation guiding officer, ground steward, ticket controller, airplane takeoff supervisor, air traffic controller, aircraft landing supervisor, passenger transport supervisor, and land guide
· Engineering Professions: architect, general survey engineer, civil engineer, electronic engineer, electronics engineer, mechanical engineer, and projects engineers.
· Technical Professions: building technician/building controller, electronic technician, road technician/road controller, mechanical technician, soil mechanics laboratory technician, steam turbine technician, construction materials lab technician, gas network extension technician, construction technician, transformer technician, station technician, electrical technician, heat operations technician, maintenance technician, and chemical technician.