By Yas D. Ocampo
Davao City – Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has officially disqualified members of the New People’s Army (NPA)( and offenders of traffic laws from the city’s Lingap program, a medical benefit originally designed to help the poor.
Mayor Duterte, through Executive Order No. 7, series of 2018, signed on March 14 an order outlining those who are not qualified for the benefit.
“There is a need to amend Section 3 of Executive Order No. 35, series of 2016 or the coverage of Lingap para sa Mahirap Program to further strengthen the program’s processes and to ensure the efficient delivery of its services to qualified residents of Davao City,” Mayor Duterte said.
Now excluded from the Lingap para sa Mahirap Program are:
- Drivers or passengers who acquired injuries in a motorcycle accident because of violation of pertinent traffic laws and rules and regulations (e.g. non-use of helmet for either or both the passenger/driver);
- Patients who are found to be members of the New People’s Army as they have already been identified as terrorists under Proclamation No. 947 (“Declaring the New People’s Army as Designated/Identified Terrorist Organization under Republic Act No. 10168”), for their injuries arising from clashes with government troops;
- Drivers involved in a vehicular accident who are found to have violated Republic Act No. 10586 (“An Act Penalizing Persons Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol, Dangerous Drugs, and Similar Substances, and for Other Purposes);
- Individuals who suffer injuries while committing a crime or an offense punishable under existing Philippine laws, rules, and regulations; and
- Patients in maternity cases, with the exception of medical issues involving newborn babies.
The Lingap program provides city government funds, as well as those coming from national agencies such as the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), for indigent patients.
In the past years, the program has evolved from a program benefitting Davao City residents to include those who are from other parts of Mindanao.
Tags: Davao City, Mayor Sara disqualifies Reds traffic violators from city’s medical program, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, medical benefit, medical program, New People’s Army, Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, rules and regulations