Cavite keeping an eye on dengue, Dengvaxia cases » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper


Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

The Nation's Leading Newspaper

Thursday, March 22, 2018 26° Mostly cloudy

Cavite keeping an eye on dengue, Dengvaxia cases


By Anthony Giron

Trece Martires City, Cavite — Stringent measures against dengue fever are being implemented in Cavite province, Governor Jesus Crispin C. Remulla assured yesterday.

Remulla said that provincial health authorities are working full-time in containing the dreaded illness and are likewise closely monitoring residents who were administered the controversial anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia.

The latest Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (PESU) report showed that dengue fever cases are on the rise in the province’s seven districts, with outbreaks reported in some areas.

“It (the action against dengue) has been a continuing effort for years and we have a comprehensive monitoring system in place, especially to look out for those who received vaccine doses,” said Remulla.

Remulla made the remarks after he met on Tuesday with the provincial health board to deliberate the dengue situation in the province’s seven districts.

The governor confirmed the increasing case number in Cavite, but he said there was no need yet to declare a province-wide outbreak.

He also said that there is no reported Dengavxia-related death in the province so far.

The PESU earlier reported that there were five deaths and 1,499 dengue cases from January 1 to March 11 this year.

Two dengue fever fatalities were reported in Tanza and one each in Dasmariñas City and the towns of Silang and Alfonso in the first nine weeks of 2018.

The PESU confirmed the outbreak in some areas as early as Wednesday last week but it withheld the names of the areas for the meantime.

It named the five cities with the most number of dengue fever case as General Trias, Bacoor, Imus, Dasmariñas and Trece Martires, along with the municipalities of Naic, Tanza, Rosario, Noveleta and Silang.

The provincial government declared a province-wide dengue outbreak and placed the entire area in a state of calamity on September 19, 2015.

A total 48 deaths and 12,007 cases were reported at year-end.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.