By Genalyn Kabiling
President Duterte has called for the swift passage of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress, insisting there was no room for failure in pursuing the peace initiative in the south.
The President tackled the “urgency” to pass the proposed BBL during a Palace meeting with Congress leaders, who in turn have promised the approval of the measure by the end of May.
“We cannot fail on this (BBL). The next generation is counting on us,” Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said, quoting the President.
“Congressional Leaders: target date for BBL is May 30, 2018,” he added.
Roque said the Constitutional Commission could provide “template” for proposed Bangsamoro measure.
Among those present in the meeting were Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III, Senate Majority Leader Tito Sotto, Senators Gringo Honasan and Panfilo Lacson, House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, and House Majority Leader Rodolfo Farinñas.
Last month, the President said the bill creating a Bangsamoro region might just “save the day” for the country and prevent any outbreak of hostilities in Mindanao.
“Hopefully, Congress will pass the BBL and that may save the day for all of us,” the President said during the launch of a medical center in Cebu City.
The President however vowed that he would not allow the country to become divided and fall into violence.
“Kung magkawatak-watak man tayo, hindi ako papayag na sa panahon ko [If we become separated, I will not allow that during my watch], not during my time,” he said.