By Anthony Giron
TRECE MARTIRES CITY, Cavite — The Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (PESU) today confirmed the dengue outbreak in some areas in Cavite province.
This developed as 107 more dengue cases were recorded in the province in a span of one week, starting March 5.
Gov. Jesus Crispin C. Remulla confirmed the increasing number of dengue cases but he said there was no need yet to declare a province-wide outbreak.
“No province-wide outbreak. Some cities and towns have been affected (by dengue),” Remulla told this reporter citing that the increasing cases may be related to garbage problem.
The governor also said there was no death that was attributed to Dengvaxia.
Remulla made the remarks after he met with the provincial health board this afternoon after he was informed about the dengue situation in some cities and municipalities of the province.
The PESU earlier reported that there were five deaths and 1,499 dengue cases in Morbidity Weeks 1 to 10 or the period from January 1 to March 11 this year.
The cases were higher by 107 as compared with Morbidity Weeks 1 to 9 with five deaths and 1,392 cases.
The authorities were alarmed in late February by the number of dengue cases in areas observed to be on the upward trend since the first week of the New Year.
The PESU said the cases recorded from Morbidity Weeks 1 to 9 were higher by 64 percent as compared with the same period in 2017 with three deaths and 850 cases..
The list showed that two dengue fatalities were reported in Tanza and one each in Dasmariñas City and the towns of Silang and Alfonso in the first nine weeks of 2018.
The PESU confirmed the outbreak as early as Wednesday last week but the names of the areas were withheld pending the meeting with the governor.
It named the five cities with high number of cases as General Trias, Bacoor, Imus (the province’s capital); Dasmariñas and Trece Martires while the municipalities are Naic, Tanza, Rosario, Noveleta and Silang.
With the incidents increasing, the PESU called for a massive cleanup drive and search and destroy operations in the fight against the mosquito-borne virus. He said the move should start from every individual, the family and the barangays (villages) and the local government units.
The provincial government declared a province-wide dengue outbreak and placed the entire area in a state of calamity the last time on September 19, 2015. The year ended with 48 deaths and 12,007 cases in the turf.
In 2017, a total 27 dengue-related deaths and 6,129 cases were reported in the province’s upland and lowland districts.
In 2016, there were a total 25 deaths and 5,121 cases in the province.