By Vanne Elaine Terrazola
Senator Vicente Sotto III challenged Commission on Elections (Comelec) spokesman James Jimenez to prove that agency had authorized the transmission of votes prior to the May 9, 2016 elections.
Sotto made the appeal after Jimenez said that it is premature to conclude that there had been irregularities in the 2016 automated polls based on his claims.
“Show me a circular or memo that shows the authorized transmission of votes to the server from May 8 to the wee hours of May 9, 2016. In the absence of such circular, did he just admit that there was indeed irregularity in the 2016 presidential elections?” Sotto said in a statement Thursday.
Sotto’s privilege speech last Tuesday bared the alleged manipulation of the results of the 2016 polls.
Quoting his “impeccable reliable” source, the Senate Majority Floor leader claimed that votes had been transmitted to municipal and provincial board of canvassers as early as May 8, 2016, until the early morning of the official voting day. There had also been a foreign access to the election servers, the lawmaker added.
But Jimenez, in a press briefing Wednesday, said they will check the accuracy of Sotto’s allegations.
In a Twitter post evening of the same day, Sotto slammed the Comelec for supposedly defending technology provider Smartmatic which has custody over the transmission records.
“Is Comelec now spokesman for Smartmatic? Logs are digital footprints that can’t be easily altered. They should present the logs for the areas to deny my claim,” Sotto said.
Sotto said he will “present more logs” on Monday.
“I suggest they wait for the hearing. It’s the best venue to plead their case,” Sotto told Comelec.