By Analou De Vera
The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday reported an increase in measles (tigdas) cases in one village in Taguig City.
DOH Undersecretary Rolando Enrique Domingo said seven children were stricken by measles in the last two weeks in the village which he declined to identify in the meantime.
“We sent a response team to investigate and work to stop the transmission of the disease. All the children are fine,” said Domingo.
“Measles is a vaccine – preventable disease and we should have zero cases. So, even if we have just 1 to 2 cases it is considered an outbreak and transmission must be controlled,” Domingo stressed.
Domingo said that the symptoms of measles include skin rashes and fever.
Last month, the DOH declared a measles outbreak in Zamboanga City.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III earlier urged parents to let their children complete their measles vaccine shots.
“We appeal to all mothers and guardians to ensure that their children receive the complete doses of measles vaccine, the 1st dose at 9 months of age and the 2nd dose at 12 months of age. Let us not lose sight of the benefits that other vaccines have provided us. These have been proven to be very effective in preventing diseases as we have seen in the past,” said Duque.
The Taguig local government said that aside from immunization programs, intensifying its health education programs and active surveillance initiatives have been carried out and intensified.
“Rest assured that the city government is doing all that it can for its constituents. I am also appealing to the residents to have their children immunized for a measles-free Taguig,” Mayor Lani Cayetano said.