8,968 families displaced by typhoon ‘Basyang’ » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

The Nation's Leading Newspaper

Monday, February 26, 2018 26° Partly cloudy

8,968 families displaced by typhoon ‘Basyang’

Updated

By Mike Crismundo

The victims of typhoon “Basyang” swelled to a total of 8,968 families or 37,376 individuals in various parts of Caraga region, the regional monitoring and action center of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD Caraga Region 13) on Wednesday reported.

Department of Social Welfare and Development (MANILA BULLETIN)

Department of Social Welfare and Development (MANILA BULLETIN)

The death toll caused by typhoon “Basyang” now rose to 7 while 18 other people, four of them were critically injured, in various parts of the region.

Of the total number of casualties, 4 are minors, 5 are ofworking age and 2 are senior citizens. Six deaths were caused by landslides while one was caused by drowning. Per information from Municipal Link of Carrascal town (Surigao del Sur), one of those who died is a Pantawid Pamilya beneficiary, Villamora Ombat, 55 years old and a resident of Barangay Babuyan, Carrascal, Surigao del Sur. The latter died when the health center where they evacuated collapsed due to landslide resulting to her death with multiple injuries, said DSWD 13 Regional Director Mita Chuchi G. Lim, in her Situational Report No. 8 to Undersecretary Hope V. Hervilla, Officer In-Charge of the Disaster Response Assistance Management Bureau (DreAMB).

A total of 64 totally damaged houses in various parts of the region, some of them were washed out by rampaging flash floods while 275 partially damaged houses as of this reporting time, she said.

A total of 7,579 families or 31,941 individuals who are inside evacuation centers had been served their immediate needs including family food packs (FFPs), she said.

These affected families are currently sheltered at 149 evacuation centers as intermittent rains still affect different parts of the region, despite typhoon “Basyang” already leaving Caraga region on Tuesday afternoon.

Director Lim told The Manila Bulletin on Wednesday that the affected families continue to receive food assistance and other immediate needs from the government.

“Relief operations went into high gear at different evacuation centers spread all over Caraga region,” the region’s DSWD chief said.

Deployment of more FFPs is still ongoing as augmentation support to affected different LGUs in the region.

Meanwhile, flood waters that reported up to the roof level of houses in Barangay Mayag, in Sison town, Surigao del Norte province started to go down while the Lake Mainit still overflowed affecting the lakeside municipalities of Jabonga in Agusan del Norte and Mainit, Surigao del Norte.

There is also an ongoing rescue operation in Barangay Calagdaan, Cantilan town, Surigao del Sur, as the area is experiencing flash floods.

On the other hand, the municipal road in Barangay Cuyago, Jabonga town is no longer passable and part of the Bangonay Bridge in Jabonga has collapsed, all in Agusan del Norte province.

One lane is not passable due to soil erosion along the provincial road in Barangay San Roque, Kitcharao town, Agusan del Norte, while the Quezon-Mapawa-Capalayan-Espina-Navarro Road in Surigao Cty is also impassable due to soil erosion.

The municipality of Kitcharao in Agusan del Norte province is currently experiencing black-out since Tuesday while the two bridges in Barangay Mahayahay, also of that same town are not passable while the Magtiaco Bridge in Barangay San Pedro, Alegria town, Surigao del Norte is only passable by single vehicles and single motors can only pass in Barangay Marayag, in nearby Mainit town of that same province due to its damaged road and bridge.

On the other hand, damaged spillway in Barangay Mayag, in Sison-Surigao del Norte province is not also passable while from Barangay Cayawan going to Barangay Masgad in Malimono town in Surigao del Norte is not also passable due to damaged road caused by soil erosion while only light vehicles can pass through Timamana Bridge, in Tubod town, also of Surigao del Norte province.

There are also portions in Mahanob, in Gigaquit town (Surigao del Norte) which are not also passable due to landslides while only light vehicle can pass through Baoy Bridge connecting the municipality of Gigaquit and municipality of Claver, and the Cantilan-National road from Barangay Parang to Barangay Pag-antayan in Cantilan town of that same province is not also passable due to landslide and soil erosion.

Siargao Island in Surigao del Norte province has already restored its power supply on Wednesday.

Barangays Gamuton, Sibahay, Poblacion Zone 4, Bunga and Agsam, all in the municipality of Lanuza, Surigao del Sur are currently experiencing flash floods.

Regional Director Engr. Pol M. Delos Santos of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) already mobilized the DPWH-District Engineering Offices (DEOs) in Agusan del Norte, Surigao del Norte and Surigao City to clear all the debris and soil erosions in roads affected by landslides, and rehabilitation of damaged bridges.

“They (DEO-District Engineers) have been ordered to use all their available earth-moving equipment, along with their respective field engineers and workers to clear obstacles in the roads,” the region’s DPWH chief said, as he also ordered to tap their respective contractors in clearing operations.

Communication lines in all parts of Caraga region are generally functional.

Typhoon “Basyang” severely affected 4 provinces with 32 municipalities and 1 city in northeastern Mindanao or Caraga region.

Flash floods are also reported in major parts of the city proper and rural areas in Surigao City.

Surigao City Mayor Ernesto T. Matugas already mobilized the rescue teams of the city DRRMC for immediate rescue of flood victims as of reporting time no one was reported hurt.

All sea trips in Caraga region are still suspended by the Philippine Coast Guard. Local government units thru the social welfare development offices have distributed food packs to the stranded passengers in the amount of P 7,950.00

Power lines are already normal in all areas in Caraga region, except in Kitcharao town in Agusan del Norte province as restoration of power lines there is still ongoing.

Rescue teams from the different disaster risk reduction and management councils (DRRMCs) spread all over Caraga region are still on the ground assisting the affected calamity victims and social welfare workers distributing family food packs.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Related Posts

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.