By Genalyn Kabiling
President Duterte expects improved efficiency in the management of the Social Security System (SSS) following the removal of two top officials, a Malacañang official said Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque stated that the President preferred there was no rift in the SSS leadership to ensure efficient operations.
The President earlier decided not to renew the appointments of SSS Chairman Amado Valdez and Commissioner Jose Gabriel La Viña, citing presidential prerogative.
“Sa tingin ko kaya pinalitan ‘yan ni Presidente dahil nakikita niya na mas magiging efficient ang SSS kung walang hidwaan sa board ng SSS [I think the President made some changes because he sees the SSS operations will become more efficient if there is no rift in the SSS board],” Roque said during a press conference in Antique.
Roque assured that operations in the SSS would continue despite the dismissal of Valdez and La Viña.
“Ang management ng SS hindi nabago. Patuloy naman ang trabaho dyan sa SSS [The management of the SSS has not changed. Work continues in the SSS],’ he said.
Last Monday, Malacañang announced that the services of Valdez and La Viña had been “discontinued effective immediately.” Valdez and La Viña were serving in a holdover capacity since their terms expired last June 20, 2017, according to Roque.
Roque said the President has yet to decide on the replacement of the two officials.
Earlier, the SSS employees reportedly wrote a petition to Malacañang seeking the dismissal of La Viña, who filed charges against several officials for alleged anomalous approval of contracts. The employees allegedly claimed they were demoralized by La Viña’s decision to go public with his charges before discussing the matter internally.