ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 29, 2018) » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 29, 2018)

Published

4 men caught in pot session

A tip from a concerned citizen led to the arrest of four men having a pot session inside a drug den in Caloocan City early Monday morning.

Police nabbed Alvin Licup, 46, delivery boy; Lebe Berrera, 48, construction worker; Alberto Macaspac, 45, painter; and Serafin Del Rosario, 30, porter. All are residents of Caloocan City.

Elements of Police Community Precinct 1 were conducting Oplan Galugad in Barangay 151 when a concerned citizen informed them about a pot session inside Licup’s house along Kalayaan Street around 12:30 a.m.

Upon reaching Licup’s house, policemen caught the four men sniffing shabu.

Seized from them were a sachet of shabu and drug paraphernalia.

The four men were detained at the Caloocan police detention cell and will be facing charges for violating R.A. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. (Kate Javier)

Caloocan stakeholders join Oplan Tokhang 

Caloocan City cops returned to knocking at the doors of alleged drug personalities in the city as part of the relaunching of ‘Oplan Tokhang’ yesterday.

Authorities of the Caloocan City police together with members of the City’s Anti-Drug Abuse Council (CADAC), barangay officials, pastors, and media, went to the houses of alleged drug personalities to encourage them to surrender.

One of them was 40-year-old Aries Castro, Barangay 2 councilman. Castro surrendered to the authorities after his name was reportedly included in

Camp Crame’s drug watch list. He, however, denied his involvement in illegal drugs.

“I already cleared my name before. I was surprised, but it’s a good thing that they just asked me,” Castro said.

Sr. Supt. Jemar Modequillo, city police chief, emphasized that no one will be apprehended and no one will get arrested during ‘Oplan Tokhang’ which will be conducted from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.

“The intention of ‘Oplan Tokhang’ is to give them a new life. We want bloodless operations. Kapag mag-refuse sila, pabayaan lang. Karapatan nila iyon,” Modequillo explained.

Atty. Sikini Labastilla, CADAC head, said the surrenderees will be encouraged to join the city’s rehabilitation program.

However, if the persons included in the watch list did not surrender, Modequillo said that they will be subject to operation not by the ‘Tokhangers’ but the Drug Enforcement Unit team.

“Let’s just follow the rules, no more, no less, wala tayong magiging problema. Ang iniiwasan natin dito ay maliligaw na naman,” Modequillo said.

‘Oplan Tokhang’ was suspended last year after the controversial deaths of teenagers at the hands of Caloocan cops. (Kate Javier)

Tags: , , , , ,

Related Posts