ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 14, 2018) » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper


Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 14, 2018)


Three men found dead in separate areas in Manila

Three men were found lifeless in separate areas in Manila today.

At 9 a.m., 62-year-old Carlos De Jose, a scavenger, was found already stiff inside his shanty at Collector’s Road in Tondo.

SPO3 Richard Escarlan of the Manila Police District – Crimes Against Persons Investigation Section (MPD-CAPIS) said De Jose’s neighbor, Lodwido Cosinco, went to De Jose’s hut at 6 a.m. that day and saw the latter lying.

Lodwido said he called De Jose’s name but did not get a response. Thinking that the victim was just sleeping, the witness left.

After three hours, Lodwido came back to De Jose’s shanty and still did not get a response. He then approached the victim and was surprised that he was already cold and stiff.

Lodwido called the attention of another neighbor, who reported the incident to the Philippine Port Authority (PPA) police.

Escarlan said they were notified of the incident at 4 p.m.

His remains are now at Archangel Funeral Homes for autopsy and safekeeping.

Meanwhile, 42-year-old Buboy Caballes, a mendicant, was found dead along Zobel Roxas corner Oro-B Street in San Andres, Bukid.

Sta. Ana Police Station chief Police Supt. Olivia Sagaysay said initial investigation showed that Caballes was last seen alive Friday night together with his live-in partner identified as Julie Smith.

The victim’s brother-in-law, Jerry Campo, also told probers that Caballes was suffering from diabetes and heart problem and he suspects that the latter died of heart attack.

The third body found at 4:30 p.m. that day remains unidentified and was described by Escarlan as about 55 to 65 years old, 5’ to 5’3” tall, and was wearing a green sweat shirt, black long pants, and slippers.

Escarlan said the victim, a mendicant, was temporarily residing on Delpan Bridge.

A witness said he last saw the man alive at 3:30 p.m. while eating his lunch.

Authorities found no external injury on the victims but they are now awaiting results of the autopsy for follow-up investigations. (Jaimie Rose Aberia)

QC cop who went AWOL, companion caught sniffing shabu inside drug den

Two men, including a Quezon City police officer, were arrested after they were allegedly caught in a pot session inside an alleged drug den in Caloocan City Saturday night.

Authorities nabbed PO1 Ramil Daludado, 36, who was assigned at Quezon City Police District (QCPD) Admin Holding Unit before he went AWOL (absence without leave) in 2017, and a resident of Caloocan City.

Daludado’s companion, meanwhile, was identified as Theodoro Borne, 21, helper, of Caloocan City.

Operatives from Police Community Precinct 1 were conducting Oplan Galugad when they reportedly caught the two men sniffing shabu inside an alleged drug den on 2nd Avenue in Barangay 120 around 7:30 p.m., Caloocan City Police chief Sr. Supt. Jemar Modequillo said.

Seized from them were a heat-sealed plastic sachet of suspected shabu and drug paraphernalia.

Daludado told police that he sniffed it due to “curiosity,” saying he did not know that it was a sachet of shabu.

“Who would believe his reason?” Modequillo asked.

It was later known that Daludado went AWOL for twice already due to family problem. The first one was in 2013 when he was assigned at QCPD Public Safety Battalion.

“When he returned to the service in 2016, he was reassigned to Admin Holding Unit. He then went AWOL again after a year,” Modequillo added.

Borne, on the other hand, admitted that he was a drug user for two years already.

Charges will be filed against Daludado and Borne for violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act. (Kate Louise Javier)

Man stabbed, mauled by 3 drunk men for no reason

A man, accompanying his friend who is suffering from polio, was stabbed and mauled by three drunk men in Caloocan City Saturday night, police said.

Case investigator Philbert Estangki said Gilbert Villaruel, 25, helper, of Barangay 8, Caloocan City, was injured as he suffered multiple stab wounds in the body.

Meanwhile, the three men who were later arrested, were identified as Jerry Ga, 48, security guard; Jeofred La Consolation, 25, janitor; and Melvin Candida, 44, security guard. All are residents of Barangay 8, Caloocan City.

Villaruel was accompanying his friend suffering from polio when the three drunk men mauled him for no reason on Salmon Street around 9:45 p.m., said PO1 Dorald Cuyangoan, another investigator on the case.

Ligaya, Villaruel’s mother, told police that La Consolation pulled out a bladed weapon and stabbed her son before the three men fled.

Villaruel’s relatives sought the assistance of barangay watchmen who able to apprehend the three men.

Villaruel was brought to Tondo Medical Hospital where he is currently recuperating.

Charges will be filed against the suspects who are now detained at the Caloocan City Police detention cell. (Kate Louise Javier)

‘Asset’ gunned down by motorcycle-riding suspects

A man who was said to be a former police informant was shot dead while three others were wounded when two motorcycle-riding suspects paid a deadly visit at a birthday party in Taguig City Saturday night.

Police identified the victim as Ryan Yalung of Castillo Street, Barangay Upper Bicutan. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds in the head and at the back of the body.

Couple Rosalina and Samuel Rufuerzo and a certain “Kalik,” who were all guests at the birthday celebration, were brought to Taguig-Pateros District Hospital after being hit by stray bullets.

Initial investigation revealed that Yalung went out of the house to buy a cigarette while the birthday of a relative who is a minor was being held inside their house around 10 p.m.

Suddenly, the suspects, who were both wearing helmets, seemed to have spotted Yalung at a nearby store so they attacked and fired shots at him.

Yalung managed to run in front of their house but the back rider followed and riddled him with bullets before the horrified guests and relatives, police said.

The Rufuerzon couple were hit in the hands while Kalik sustained a bullet wound in his leg.

The back rider immediately boarded the motorcycle and sped off after making sure Yalung was dead. The motorcycle had no license plate, witnesses said.

According to witnesses, the two suspects were roving the area before the deadly attack.

According to John Rey Javier, the uncle of Yalung, the victim was a former police informant so it is likely that the suspects who killed him had a grudge on him.

Police have requested a copy of closed circuit television footage of the barangay to identify and trace the whereabouts of the suspects. (Martin Sadongdong)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Related Posts