By Genalyn Kabiling
A proposed compromise deal on the Marcos wealth was reportedly submitted to Malacañang as early as last year but was merely placed on archives.
Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar admitted that he received a copy of the draft agreement with the Marcos family dated September 19, 2017 and prepared by Atty. Oliver Lozano last year.
“Actually, nakatanggap din ako ng letter na iyan from Atty. Lozano last year. So dumaan sa opisina ko at binasa ko iyong deal na iyon [Actually I received a letter from Atty. Lozano last year. So it was sent to my office and I read the deal] and then after I read the deal, I archived it,” Andanar said in a radio interview.
Despite the submission of the document, Andanar insisted that no compromise agreement has been forged yet between the government and the heirs of the late president Ferdinand Marcos. “Wala pong usapan. Ang alam ko lang kasi pagdating naman sa mga ganyan, eh of course mga congressman ang gagawa niyan [There are no talks. As far as I know, the congressmen will handle that],” he said.
Andanar’s latest comment came after another Palace official, Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo, admitted receiving a similar proposal from Lozano, a known Marcos loyalist.
Under Lozano’s proposal, the Marcoses will give a share of the family’s wealth in exchange for the dropping of cases against the family. A draft bill granting immunity to the Marcos family was also reportedly part of Lozano’s documents.
Panelo claimed that his office acknowledges the receipt of any letter from any citizen as a matter of courtesy. “No action has been taken on Atty. Lozano’s proposal,” he added.
The Marcos family, however, has denied knowledge of Lozano’s documents.
Earlier, Malacanang said the President was open to a compromise deal with the Marcoses but will need a law authorizing him to forge such agreement.