Charges of reckless imprudence resulting to double homicide filed vs 10 Mandaluyong cops » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia
  • Home Category
  • Metro
  • Charges of reckless imprudence resulting to double homicide filed vs 10 Mandaluyong cops

Charges of reckless imprudence resulting to double homicide filed vs 10 Mandaluyong cops

Updated

By Jel Santos

Charges of reckless imprudence resulting to double homicide, and reckless imprudence resulting to frustrated homicide were filed against 10 policemen and three barangay watchmen (or “tanod”) on Sunday afternoon.

The cases stemmed from a shooting incident that happened in the evening of December 28, 2017.  Two persons, Jonalyn Ambaon and Jomar Hayawun, died after the van they are riding was mistaken by responding policeman as a getaway car of a suspect in a prior shooting.

NCRPO Regional Dir. Gen Oscar Albayalde, talsk to the 10 memebrs of the Mandaluyong Police after getting invovled in a misencounter along Shaw Blvd, Decemebr 29 2017, that resulted tot he death of 2 individuals. According to investigation, a woman, identified as Jocelyn Ambaon, was shot in Addition Hills earlier that night, and the men in the vehicle brought the woman and her companions into their vehicle in an attempt to A barangay watchman or tanod followed them, thinking they were involved in the shooting, and relayed the same information to the police. The miscommunication appeared to have led to the shootout. (Mark Balmores)

NCRPO Regional Dir. Gen Oscar Albayalde reprimands the 10 Mandaluyong policemen involved in a ‘mis-encounter’ on Shaw Blvd. on December 29, 2017 that resulted in the death of two persons. (Mark Balmores)

Senior Supt. Quibuyen, Eastern Police District’s (EPD) director for operations, said named as respondents before the Mandaluyong City Prosecutors’ Office were Sr. Inspector Maria Cristina Vasquez, the team leader; P02 Nel Lemuel Songalia; PO1 Ariel Uribe; PO1 Jave Arellano; PO1 Tito Danao; PO1 Mark Castillo; PO1 Julius Libuen; PO1 Bryan Nicolas; PO1 Albert Buwag; and PO1 Kim Rufford Tibunsay.

Three watchmen of Barangay Addition Hills–Ernesto Fajardo, Wilmer Duron and Gilbert Gulpo–were also charged. Gulpo is still in hiding.

Aside from criminal charges, Quibuyen said the 10 cops and former Mandaluyong Police Chief Sr. Supt. Moises Villaceran will be charged administratively.

Quibuyen added the Regional Internal Affairs Service (RIAS) will start its probe of the policemen involved in the incident.

Barangay chairman Kent Faminial told the Manila Bulletin recently that Gulpo texted him that he would surrender soon.

Faminial also said that the watchmen were not given guns by their barangay, saying they only issue handcuffs and wooden batons.

Around 10:20 p.m. of December 29, 2017, Ambaon was allegedly shot by a delivery man of liquefied petroleum gas tanks when she tried to intervene in a dispute over a parking space in their neighborhood in Barangay Addition Hills, Mandaluyong City.

The quarrel was between Aluad – the steel man later wounded by police inside the AUV – and deliveryman Abdurakman Alfin who had parked his vehicle in front of the construction site where Aluad was working.

Ambaon, according to witnesses, pacified her live-in partner Aluad and Alfin before their confrontation turned physical.

Alfin left but returned minutes later with an armed man later identified by police as Salam Abdul Majid, who shot Ambaon in the head and then fled.

Aluad then sought the assistance of fellow workers at the construction site to take his live-in partner to the hospital.  Ambaon was ferried on board the Mitsubishi Adventure driven by Danilo Santiago.

Mhory Jamon, one of construction workers inside the AUV, said they were chased by two barangay watchmen who shot at their vehicle as they hurriedly drove to the nearest hospital.

“The barangay watchmen, wearing black vests, fired at us. The policemen saw that. Maybe that’s why they fired at us,” he said in Filipino at a press briefing at the Mandaluyong City Police Station last Friday.

“Our car stopped. The policemen told us to go out. We were shouting that we were going to the hospital, but they did not listen to us,” he narrated.

“Some of us can’t get out of the car because they were taking care of Ambaon. But the cops still fired at us,” he added.

A task force was recently formed by EPD to investigate the apparent case of mistaken identity.  Headed by Quibuyen, it was named “Special Investigation Taskforce Shaw.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Related Posts